About the Race
The beautiful Fontana Lake offers an amazing venue for a 5K, 10K, and 15K open water race. The 5K loop swim course starts where the lake meets the Tsali Mountain Biking Trail Head parking lot and beach area. From the beach, swimmers will make their way out one of the lake’s fingers, around a point, across an open stretch of water to an island. With the island on the swimmers’ left shoulder, they will make there way around the island, back across the open stretch of water and into the finger leading back to the beach and start area. Swimmers doing the 5K will complete one lap. Swimmers doing the 10K will complete two laps and 15K swimmers will complete three laps turning for another lap around a special turn buoy near the beach.
Expected water temperature: 70-80F
About Fontana Lake
In western North Carolina, in the mountains of the Nantahala National Forest and the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, lies the beautiful 17-mile long Fontana Lake. Created by the Fontana Dam located on the Little Tennessee River, Fontana Lake has many coves and many islands formed from former mountain peaks. Depending on water levels, the average depth is 135 feet with a maximum depth of 440 feet, making it the deepest lake in North Carolina.
Eligibility and Registration
The race is open to all members of U.S. Masters Swimming. Adults who are not current members of U.S. Masters Swimming may pay for a one-day membership during the online entry process; the one-day membership fee is $20 (in addition to the event entry fee).
Entry fee and registration:
**Registration OPENS December 2 at 8 AM**
Event is limited to only the first 185 entries!
5K Solo Swim: $80
10K Solo Swim: $150
15K Solo Swim: $200
Entry fee provides the following:
- Safety boats and kayakers for course monitoring
- Feeding/drink/aid stations on the course (two)
- Excellent meal and beer at the post race social and awards ceremony at the NOC outpost in Wesser, NC along the Nantahala River (see below)
- Live band at the post race social
- Fontana Lake official race T-shirt
- Finishers medal for all swimmers finishing the swim
- Goodie bag with cool stuff from our sponsors
Online registration will be open until 11:59 p.m. Sunday, June 7, 2020. NO RACE DAY ENTRIES. Online entries are paid by credit card to "ClubAssistant.com Events."
NO REFUNDS: If you can’t participate in the race for any reason or there are dangerous weather conditions and we have to cancel the race, there are no refunds, transfers, or deferrals for any reason. The cost of the event is fixed and the money has been spent come race day.
Post Race Social, Awards, and Results
Our post race social and awards ceremony will take place on the Nantahala Outdoor Center's main campus in Wesser, NC. Food, beer, and a live band will be served from 5:30-9:30pm. Awards will take place during this social. You don't want to miss this beautiful location along the Nantahala River in the Nantahala Gorge!
- Finisher's medal for each swimmer who completes the swim.
- Awards will be given to the top five male and top five female swimmers for all three races.
- All awards will be presented during the post race social at the NOC campus.
- Results will be available on this website shortly after the race.
Event location & directions
Race venue start/finish address 8105 Tsali Rd, Almond, NC 28702Post race social and awards ceremony addressNantahala Outdoor Center, 13077 W Hwy 19, Bryson City, NC 28713Directions to race venueFrom Bryson City: Take U.S. 19 south for 9 miles to NC 28 west. Turn right on NC 28. Go 5 miles and look for sign on right.
From Knoxville, TN: Take U.S. 129 south through Maryville. Stay on U.S. 129 to Deals Gap. Take left onto NC 28 east. Sign is 25 miles on left.
From Asheville, NC: Take I-40 west to exit 27 onto U.S. 19/74. Stay on U.S. 74 west to NC 28 west. Turn right and go 5 miles, look for sign on right.
About the Area and Our Main Sponsor Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC.com)
Awesome Adventures Await!
Don’t just come for the swim but stay and enjoy all of the adventures that await you in this beautiful part of the country!
Being a destination location only minutes from Bryson City, North Carolina, the Smokey Mountain National Park, beautiful rivers and other National Forests, this area offers adventures ranging from whitewater rafting and kayaking to mountain biking, hiking, flat water paddling, mountain zip lining, and open water swimming. The Fontana Lake surrounding towns provide a mecca for outdoor adventure all through our sponsor the NOC.
Get Your NOC 15% discount on rafting, zip lining, and flat water kayaking
All participants can get 15% off on rafting, zip lining, and flat water kayaking. Just book your adventure at NOC.com and extend your trip for some epic adventures.
Discount code: SWIM
Rules, Details, and Important Information
EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS!
- ALL SWIMMERS MUST attend the pre-race safety meeting, which will be held on race day morning just prior to the race starting.
- 15K swimmers cut off time: You must be able to complete the swim in UNDER 6 HOURS. This means if there is ZERO current, you should be able to swim 1 open water mile in about 38 minutes. If you’re not within the final 500 yards of the swim within 6 hours, you may be pulled by the safety boats and shuttled to the finish line.
- Swimwear Rules: Expected water temperature is 70-80F. The race will follow USMS swimming rules for Category 1 swimwear, meaning no wetsuits. If water temps stay below 78F, there will be a wetsuit division following USMS swimming rules for Category 2 swimwear.
- Feeding stations: There will be one anchored boat on the course and one table at the start/finish area providing water, carbo drinks, and gels from Hammer Nutrition. All swimmers should consider having extra gels in their suits for use when needed, especially those doing the 10K and 15K swims.
- 10K and 15K swimmer laps: When you complete a lap and return to the start/finish area, you will exit the water and cross a timing pad to check in. You'll then return to the water for your next lap. Near the timing pad and re-entry into the lake, there will be a aid station table.
- You cannot hang or rest on any of the safety boats, even when getting water from a feeding station.
- No use of lower extremities to rest on or push off of the bottom of the lake to gain an advantage.
- You CANNOT have a personal escort kayaker for any distance. This race is not an escorted swim type of race. We will have safety support on the water as well as two aid/nutrition stations on the course.
- Swim caps and body marking will be provided which must be worn throughout the race.
- If you have any questions about your ability to swim this event, please contact the race director
There is no official race hotel. There are many options for staying in this area from basic motels to beautiful log cabin rentals to camping.
- NOC Cabins/Bunk House/Cabin Tents: 828-785-5082
- Fontana Village Resort: 800-849-2258 website
- Nantahala Village Resort: 828-488-9000 website
- Sleep Inn Bryson: 828-488-0326
- The Everett Hotel: 828-488-1976
- Calhoun House Inn & Suites: 828-788-0505
- Microtel Inn & Suites: 828-488-7900
- Relax Inn: 828-488-2127
- Riverbend Lodging: 828-488-9476
- Bryson City Cabin Rentals: 888-483-3630
- Almond Boat & RV Park Cabins (on Fontana Lake): 828-488-6423 website
- Watershed Estates: 888-604-3075
- Carolina Mountain Vacations: 828-488-7500
- Turkey Creek: 828-488-8966
- Smoky Mountain Meadows: 828-488-3672
Race Day Event Schedule - TENTATIVE
Saturday, June 13
6:45-7:30 AM: Swimmer check-in and body marking
7:30-7:50 AM: MANDATORY pre-race safety meeting for ALL swimmers
7:55 AM: 10K and 15K swimmers final check-in
8:00 AM: 10K and 15K start
8:05 AM: 5K swimmers final check-in
8:10 AM: 5K male start
8:15 AM: 5K female start
2:00 PM: ALL swimmers must be completed
2:15 PM: Event finishes and clean-up begins
5:30-9:30 PM: Post race food/beer, LIVE band (Soul Talk), and awards social at the NOC main campus along the Nantahala River